Monday, September 28, 2020




TRUST THE PROCESS


 

“Though I do not believe that a plant will spring up where no seed has been, I have great faith in a seed. Convince me that you have a seed there, and I am prepared to expect wonders.

      Henry David Thoreau

The process of productivity is time-oriented. It involves many steps to the tangible output worthy of consumption. It has no finality to it. It is a continuum. Remaining productive requires a conscious decision matched with deliberate sets of actions.

When it is convenient and when it’s not. When we wobble and stumble it is necessary to follow the structure. The structure is the secret. It cannot be missed neither can it be swapped. One precedes the other then another then another.

As easy as it is to pluck the beautiful rose. Some back and forth from cross pollination to seeding to germination to survival of harsh weather conditions had happened before the blossom. That beauty you see is not permanent. The rose is always still in the works.

I learnt a lot from the one green plant I have ever sown in my life. The Aloe Vera plant. I visit my hairdresser on a sunny morning and met her discussing her attempt at formulating hair products based on her years of experience in the industry. She was lamenting about the National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control (NAFDAC) angle to production. It was going to take a very long and tedious process plus financial investment to get the product approved. That of course is story for another good day.

She had a few ingredients lying around the salon floor. One of them were stalks of the Aloe Vera plant. The greenery was the attraction. I commented that I wish I could have that plant because I hear and read so much about all its benefits in a lot of ways apart from hair care. In truth, I was particular about beauty care. My acne-prone face was on my mind. She immediately offered me one of the stalks. I was hesitant. I asked if it would grow. That question was borne out of fear that having never planted anything in my life, what do I do with it. I told myself ‘I better not waste it’. She immediately gave me assurance that it is a rugged plant. It doesn’t wither off quickly and can survive without so much attention. It been filled with water naturally; it nourishes itself for a while. It has a natural sustainability component built-in. the Aloe Vera plant can be planted in a bowl, she said. I took the plant with doubts in my mind.

I immediately went to the grassland opposite my apartment to get black soil. That portion of land was actually used as a maize farm by my neighbour. I poured what my energy and plastic dustpan could dig into the small bowl. I dug a hole and placed one of the stalks into it. I watered it. Looking at my effort, placed by the window on the balcony of my one-room apartment I wasn’t sure it would grow. I watered it every few evenings apart. In spite of my doubts, my uncertainty, nature took its course. It grew. It wasn’t as green as I wanted though. This was for no other reason apart from the fact that I didn’t water it enough.

With those cumulative efforts, some almost non-significant, I had my source of the desirable Aloe Vera gel. I used it generously. The shocking thing is, at that time I never really thought those actions put together was a process. I didn’t realize it was a cycle. That the outcome was a result of a continuum of effort which I had to keep going in spite of the result I have already.

Note that even in my doubt, there was a glimmer of hope. I called it wish then. In my mind, I said, I wish this thing will flourish. Heavy on doubt but light on hope, I took the other stalk to my parents’ home. That plant is doing well too.

Today as I write, I am glad to say it wasn’t a fruitless effort. It still isn’t. I have more than one stalk of grown Aloe Vera plant in a medium sized washing bowl of about 10 liters. I have more than enough for my thick black hair and for my beauty experiments.

Do not think this process of productivity just described is as simple as it is written out. I, as human, forget to water the plant for a stretch of time. But the good thing is I trace my step and get back to watering my plant – thank God for the water composition in the plant itself – after a few days.

You see, as I cast a long look back on that day after about 2 years, I see the lesson therein. It took a decision, in my down time, to continue making efforts such as putting pen to paper. You may want to strike that and read that as sitting by my PC to write something. I consider any type of writing as putting pen to paper because I am a pen pusher at heart and by training.

This is exactly how productivity or call it success is. It will require inputs from you. You may have to dig and get your hands dirty – I don’t mean that literally only. You may have to forgo some fun things. You definitely have to do without a few idle activities on your list.

But at the end of the day I assure you it is worth all the trouble. Better put, it is worth all the sweating, omissions, inconveniences and efforts.

Remember the process is never finished.

Love, Soft Steel.

A garden requires patient labor and attention. Plants do not grow merely to satisfy ambitions or to fulfill good intentions. They thrive because someone expended effort on them

— Liberty Hyde Bailey


“Watering everyday on a seed results in fruitful faith.”
― Rupal Asodaria

No comments:

Post a Comment